Sunday, March 17, 2013

My son turned 1 this week

I can't believe that my son turned 1 this past week.

I had recently started reading a blog from a friend of mine and thought that it was probably time that I start mine up again. I was amazed to see that the last time I had posted was when I found out I was pregnant. Now my son is 1 year old.

My life has certainly gone through a lot in the last year and a half. The 9 months that I was pregnant with my son were difficult. I didn't have tradition morning sickness, instead I had constant nausea for the first 4 months. As a diabetic, definitely better for my blood sugar as I was able to keep food down and therefor my blood sugar didn't go through the constant state of lows that the first trimester usually brings to us. I actually had the best blood sugars of my life during that period. Unfortunately my teeth suffered a bit as brushing made me gag, so i probably didn't do such a great job which brought on extreme bleeding gums for my second trimester.

That was probably the only issue that I had during the second trimester. My sugars were still pretty stable although my insulin usage definitely started to increase.

My third trimester was a roller coaster. Not only did I have to deal with the regular pregnancy symptoms like not sleeping, back aches, crankiness, extreme heart burn, etc but my diabetes went crazy. My insulin resistance doubled. I had gone from boluses of 4, 6, and 6 to 2, 4, and 4. My basal rates were just as extreme. I had ultrasounds every month, fetal non-stress tests every two weeks that eventually moved to every day, and endocrinologist and obstetrician appointments weekly.

My OB finally made the decision to induce me at 38 weeks. My OB used cyridil and was admitted to the hospital on the Monday. I didn't dilate at all. We did another round on Tuesday. I dilated 1cm. Definitely not enough to say that I was progressing. We finally made the decision on the Wednesday to do a c-section. Connor was born at 9:02 pm.

I'll continue the rest in the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment